Download Cultivating Relationships Through Administrator Actions from Transforming Education for tips, strategies and practical advice from the field.
Educational leaders can set the tone for supportive, collegial relationships in a variety of ways including:
- Being present during the school day; engaging with staff and students.
- Modeling respectful, engaging interactions with teachers and staff.
- Seeking teacher input on policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Encouraging innovation and celebrating successes.
- Putting systems in place for ongoing relationship-building, both formal and informal.
- Attending after school activities and events when possible.